Try these strategies to increase your focus and boost your productivity:
1. Get an early start. If you have a difficult or tedious task to complete, you might be tempted to put it off. Procrastinating can increase your stress, which makes it harder to focus on completing the task.
· Getting an early start on boring or demanding work lowers your stress and helps you to stay focused.
2. Make time for breaks. You might think that you’ll get more done if you just keep your nose to the grindstone. However, if your work is particularly long or physically demanding, you can maintain greater focus by taking frequent breaks.
· Taking breaks before you’re completely exhausted helps you to come back to your task with your energy levels recharged. When your energy levels are high, you’re more able to concentrate fully on the task at hand.
3. Adopt a healthy lifestyle. Our minds and bodies are made to work together in harmony. Being in good health reduces stress and makes it easier to concentrate on your work.
· Adopting a healthy diet will give you the nutrients that you need for your mind and body to operate at peak performance. When you’re full of energy boosting nutrients, you’re less likely to feel distracted.
· Walking and other moderately physical activities can help you clear your mind. Walking also increases the blood flow to your brain, which can boost your ability to focus.
· Getting enough sleep each day gives you the energy that you need to stop your thoughts from wandering.
· Drink plenty of water each day. Dehydration can sap your energy and ability to think clearly.
4. Practicing mindfulness. Increase your focus by taking the time to be more aware of your surroundings.
· Learn to use all of your senses as you experience the people, places, and objects in your environment. Looking at things with a different perspective boosts your creativity and focus.
5. Meditate. Meditation boosts concentration in several ways.
· Meditation can help you learn progressive relaxation, which helps to reduce the stress and anxiety that make it difficult to concentrate.
· Meditating increases your ability to concentrate. The more you practice on focusing, the easier it gets.
6. Take steps to eliminate distractions. It’s easier to stay focused and complete tasks when you are free of distractions.
· Before you begin to work on a task, ensure that you have everything you need and make your workspace as comfortable as possible.
Random thoughts and interruptions don’t have to derail your concentration and prevent you from completing your work. Learning how to eliminate distractions and focus your attention will help you lower your stress and finish tasks.