Adopt these beliefs and your life will change:
1. There is a way. If you don’t believe you can succeed at a particular task or goal, you’ll never get started. It just wouldn’t make any sense. You’re much more likely to chase those big goals if you believe there is a path that works for you.
2. Everyone is doing the best they can. It’s easy to take things personally when people are cross or let us down. In many instances, you aren’t the issue. The other person could be having a bad day or maybe had a rough childhood.
· This belief doesn’t imply that everyone is operating at the limit of their potential. But given a person’s past experiences, present circumstances, and belief system, they believe they’re doing the best they can at this moment.
3. Failure is a learning tool. At some point, it’s necessary to stop learning, thinking, and planning, and pull the trigger. Your results determine your next step. See what happens and adjust your aim. The only way to avoid failure is to never do anything. Failure is part of success.
4. I can do anything, but I can’t do everything. There are few limits to what you can do. You could climb Mount Everest, be a movie star, astronaut, or neurosurgeon. You can do one or two of these, but it’s unlikely you could do all of them. Select the most important objectives in your life and let the others go.
5. Small improvements are enough. Fast results require big changes, but those big changes can occur over a long period of time. Trying to change too much, too fast, is unlikely to work in the long-term. It’s too uncomfortable. Introduce changes slowly. A small change that’s maintained and built upon has a huge effect over time.
6. I don’t need to be the best. Your lawyer, third-grade teacher, doctor, and mechanic are almost certainly not the best in their respective fields. You can achieve a high-level of success without being the best at anything.
7. It will all be over someday. Not to be morbid, but no one lives forever. A time will come when you’re gone, and there will be no one left that remembers you. That might sound depressing, but it can be very liberating. None of your mistakes will matter in the end. Enjoy your life and take a few chances.
8. Good things often take time. Our society is impatient. We want everything yesterday. Most good things take time to create. If you want something spectacular in your life, be patient. It’s important to work hard, but temper your expectations with regards to the timing of it all. Learn to enjoy the process.
9. I already have everything I need to get started. Getting started is perhaps the biggest obstacle in life. For whatever reason, we have 100 excuses why we should put things off. Some of us wait to start diets on the first day of the month. Or we always need to acquire or learn one more thing before the time is right.
· You already have what you need to take the first step today. You can make adjustments and learn a little more tomorrow.
Can you see how these beliefs would enhance your life? A few, simple beliefs can make all the difference. Enjoy your life more and celebrate more success. Consider the impact your beliefs are having on your life.